Tired of seeing ads? Register now! Registered members NO longer have to see any advertising on the forum side of the website. Enjoy! --- Rob

pressure washing

Anything NOT about the Yamaha Virago

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

geezyrider
What Virago you Own: XV535 1994 Virago

pressure washing

Post by geezyrider » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:52 am

94 XV535
Most motorcycles withstand being pressure washed at the local car wash pressure washers, but some don't. Ie: I had a bike once that I had to wait until it dried off before it would re-start. Just wondering how the XV535 withstands a pressure washing? And let's hear from some of the other members, and not just the administration!
May the wind be at Your Back.
And the Sun be on Your shoulder.
Don't You ever quit that Cruising.
Even when You get much older!

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"

Re: pressure washing

Post by ViragoJoe » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:37 pm

geezyrider wrote:94 XV535
Most motorcycles withstand being pressure washed at the local car wash pressure washers, but some don't. Ie: I had a bike once that I had to wait until it dried off before it would re-start. Just wondering how the XV535 withstands a pressure washing? And let's hear from some of the other members, and not just the administration!
Hello Hal,
Since we don't have many 535 Virago riders registered on this website. Waiting for a response may be a long time coming. Just saying.

You may be the best person to provide this information by pressure washing your bike and providing the out come of the dos and don’t s. I am sure those with 535's who may register later would appreciate your findings.
ViragoJoe
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
;)

geezyrider

Post by geezyrider » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:34 pm

Okay Joe, thanks for the input!

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:02 am

geezyrider wrote:Okay Joe, thanks for the input!
Hal,
Just some suggestions and tips before you power wash your bike. Search the internet for power washing motorcycles to get generic information. Like you mentioned earlier some motorcycles are susceptible to issues like not wanting to start after power washing. Like wet spark plugs and cables or other electrical reasons. Seats have been sliced, due to excessive PSI power washers. Some common sense needs to be applied when using power washers of any kind even car wash systems. Remember some of these can remove mortar between bricks and would not have any problem blowing passed any type of seals on a bike. Like wheel bearing seals. Some folks have used WD40 afterwards to displace water from the wheel bearings for WD40 stands for Water Displacement 40th formula. Failing to realize that WD40 is also a penetrant and a grease cutter. Ever have really dirty and grease covered hands. Spray WD40 on them and see how nice and clean your hands will get. Imagine what affect it will have on the grease packed into your wheel bearings let alone the power washer forcing water in them. I just wanted to mention this, so you will avoid any damages yourself.

You may be aware of this already, however, I just thought I would mention it.
ViragoJoe
;)

geezyrider

Post by geezyrider » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:53 am

Some good points there Joe. Especially about the seat. The seat is one thing I never do power wash anyhow. And I don't concentrate the spray in any one area very long. The plugs are well covered on the XV535, and that's a good point about the front bearing area. Re: the pressure at those wash places I don't believe is as powerful as those portable washers, but yes, there is no point in getting too carried away.

geezyrider

Post by geezyrider » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:30 am

Well, I took the XV535 up to the car wash. Let it cool down for ten minutes and gave it a good spraying and rinsing down. Dried her off with a towel with no streaks on the windscreen due to the soft water they used. And she fired right up, and I drove off with a sparkling clean machine. Being the lazy cuss that I am I enjoyed using the car wash instead of hand washing her at home.

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:48 am

geezyrider wrote:Well, I took the XV535 up to the car wash. Let it cool down for ten minutes and gave it a good spraying and rinsing down. Dried her off with a towel with no streaks on the windscreen due to the soft water they used. And she fired right up, and I drove off with a sparkling clean machine. Being the lazy cuss that I am I enjoyed using the car wash instead of hand washing her at home.
Hal,
Sounds like you had a good experience, glad to hear! Did you also notice that she rode better as well.

Hopefully, you did a brake test and made sure they were dry and working before heading down the rode. I know, great time to mention that. :oops:

They must have been dry for you posted the results of the wash. :lol:
ViragoJoe
;)