Tired of seeing ads? Register now! Registered members NO longer have to see any advertising on the forum side of the website. Enjoy! --- Rob

Laid it down

Anything NOT about the Yamaha Virago

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

geezyrider
What Virago you Own: XV535 1994 Virago

Laid it down

Post by geezyrider » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:55 am

Well, it's never happened in 67 years of cruising. (other than the stupid things during my youth). But coming back from a ride up to Mt. Baker In NW Washington, I hit a patch of sand traversing a curve and laid it down. It happened so fast that I didn't have time to tense up. All I got was a few small holes in my wallet pocket and some bruises. But my 1994 XV535 didn't fair so well. Shattered the windscreen, broke off the right foot peg, bent the brake lever, misaligned he handlebars, and somehow got a lot of air in the brake fluid. Go figure that one. Other than a few scratches in the right panel, the rest of the bike is okay. Oh, and BTW, my camera that was wrapped in a towel and stored in my Barrel bag, the battery door opened and ejected the battery, but no damage to the rest of the camera. Eerie, what?
May the wind be at Your Back.
And the Sun be on Your shoulder.
Don't You ever quit that Cruising.
Even when You get much older!

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"

Re: Laid it down

Post by ViragoJoe » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:34 am

Wow Hal,
Sorry to hear about your misfortune! Glad you are okay!!

You should be able to find replacement parts for your bike should you decide to fix it and ride on again. Human parts a tad harder to find. Glad to hear you don't need any of those!

As for getting air in the brake fluid. I suggest bleeding out the system totally with fresh brake fluid. What color if any is the brake fluid? Amber, clear, or really dark? If any color other than clear. It was way over due for a change anyway and was in the bike waaay to long.
ViragoJoe
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
;)

geezyrider
What Virago you Own: XV535 1994 Virago

Post by geezyrider » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:17 pm

I tried bleeding them normally to no avail. So I purchased a good vacuum pump and it bled them pronto. And you were right on about the color being dark. But now it's nice and clear. Just lack a right foot peg that is slow getting here. I stole a foot peg from the rear passengers local. And enjoyed riding back without a windshield and the "Wind in My Face" so much that I may not put one back on.
May the wind be at Your Back.
And the Sun be on Your shoulder.
Don't You ever quit that Cruising.
Even when You get much older!

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Post by ViragoJoe » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:06 am

geezyrider wrote:I tried bleeding them normally to no avail. So I purchased a good vacuum pump and it bled them pronto. And you were right on about the color being dark. But now it's nice and clear. Just lack a right foot peg that is slow getting here. I stole a foot peg from the rear passengers local. And enjoyed riding back without a windshield and the "Wind in My Face" so much that I may not put one back on.
Yes sir,
I too, use to like riding along with the "Wind in My Face". Until one day barrelling down the highway, there was a Yellow Jacket Bumble Bee in the air. It was like getting poked in the face with the end of a broom stick handle. Lucky, it hit my cheek and not a more delicate eye. Now, I ride with full Face Helmet and Windshield!! Over kill I know.

However, can you say expletives?!! Sure you can!! I think I covered them all.

For your reading pleasure. Somewhat humorous, but I know how he feels:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=724

Joe
ViragoJoe
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
;)

Schu
What Virago you Own: 1995 XV1100 (sold)
1976 DT175
1975 DT400
1975 DT250 (2)
1975 DT175
1975 DT125
1975 DT100
1975 GT80
1974 DT360
1974 Z50
1972 JT60 (2)
1971 JT60
1971 CT175
1970 CT175
2017 SCR950

Post by Schu » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:03 pm

I almost took that exact same spill on my Virago a few years ago. A sweeping right hand curve that needed sweeping. Front tire washed out but regained traction at the last moment. It was not my most graceful maneuver. I believe my feet were already off the pegs and I was ready to bailout.
Joe I'm glad to hear you're still riding and wearing the full face helmet. I was under the impression you were throwing in the towel this year. I should've known better.
Hey my buddy who was looking for a Virago for his girlfriend.......well she just returned from a solo ride to the Badlands of South Dakota on her 1994 XV1100. Not a single problem with the Vgo. Great bikes. Weird bikes. Dependable and surprisingly fast.

Schu