Tired of seeing ads? Register now! Registered members NO longer have to see any advertising on the forum side of the website. Enjoy! --- Rob

2002 Mercury Cougar V6 No Spark

Anything NOT about the Yamaha Virago

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

Rob
Administrator
Administrator
What Virago you Own: Unable to ride due to health issues...

2002 Mercury Cougar V6 No Spark

Post by Rob » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:12 pm

Hey everyone. I just picked up a 2002 Mercury Cougar. As a few here know my dad is coming out the hospital so I need a reliable car to go back and forth to take care of him. It is about a 2 1/2 hour round trip every time I go there and back. It was running but I am not getting any spark now for some reason. All I did was take off the air cleaner and put it back. And now no spark. I checked all the connections and they all seem ok. Anyone familiar with newer type ignition? I have worked on older stuff with distributer and coil but this is a coil pack setup I am not familiar with testing and I dont have a manual for it either. Anyone here who is knowledgeable give me a shout. I am trying to find out if I can pull the engine codes without a computer or diagnosing tool. I know some you can jump and go by the check engine light flashes. I can fix almost anything but my back has me very limited right now until I go in for surgery. Take care everyone and wish me luck!
If this website was helpful please consider donating to help keep this site here for future Virago owners. :idea: ;) To donate using PayPal click HERE
If you are looking for service manuals for working on a Yamaha Virago we have them available for download HERE

Rob
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 2002 Mercury Cougar V6 No Spark

Post by Rob » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:21 am

Well it was either the crackcase sensor the pcm (brainbox) or the coil pack. I replaced the crank sensor. Then rechecked the voltage going into the coil pack and it has 3 inputs. 1 was 5v+ the other 2 were under 1v. Has to be the PCM. Quite my usual luck here to be honest. Will be on the hunt today junkyarding for a new computer for it. Wish me luck. I am hoping to find one reasonably priced and hoping it sets me up with a nice running car once I fix it. I will still have a vacuum leak to track down on it but thats fairly simple. Only paid $400 for the car but the tires are near new and it drove pretty good on the way home before the computer went out so I hope once this is fixed I will be good to go for making the 2 1/2 hour round trip several times a week to take care of my dad. I plan on adding some more articles to the site once this car is straightened around. Take care everyone and ride on!
If this website was helpful please consider donating to help keep this site here for future Virago owners. :idea: ;) To donate using PayPal click HERE
If you are looking for service manuals for working on a Yamaha Virago we have them available for download HERE

Rob
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rob » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:44 am

Well... I just can't seem to get a break in life :x .... or at least that is how it feels. Sure most of us has felt that way in life at one time or another.

So originally here is how the car quit.

I drove it home with the vacuum leak it had which was about 15 miles. I got it home and shut it off. Next time I tried to start it, it acts like it will run just for a split second, then dies and will not restart. I have, as far as I know, tracked the problem to being the PCM or what is basically the computer for the car. You would think.... no big deal buy one and throw it in and bam running car.....

No.... :evil:
not for me.
:evil:

I got one at a local junkyard. Got home put in the replacement PCM for this 2002 Mercury Cougar. Went to crank it and to my amazement the car wouldn't even turn over. I already knew this car had what is called a PATS system. This is an anti theft system. I knew it had this from doing google searches on possible problems this car might have.
So, what I think is going on is the new computer PCM is expecting a different code coming from the key/ignition. It is supposed to be an anti theft system but it is really a robbery by FORD trying to steal $300 from me to reprogram the replacement PCM. They guy on the phone said it would take them 15 minutes. AND that they needed the car there even though I have both PCM out of the car. I asked why and he flat out said it is a RULE they follow so they are not helping someone steal a car. So on top of the money to do the 15 mins of work I also have to pay to get the damn car towed to the dealership.

As I said I rarely ever get a break in life lately it seems. I am broke, my back hurts so bad I literally want to blow my brains out to escape the pain and lack of sleep, my poor dad is really counting on me to be able to take care of him throughout the week, hell my entire family is counting on me being able to do that, apparently it is too much to ask the UNIVERSE to just give me a break on some of this. I apologize to whomever reads this but I just had to vent.

So.... my options are only a few.

Deal with Ford and get the car towed to them and pay them $220-$300 for them to reprogram the replacement PCM.

2. I found a place in Florida that repairs PCMs and after talking to them they say they can fix mine for $160 and that covers it being shipped back to me.

3. I am poor as hell. I have $450 into the car so far. I could call the local scrap yard and have them come get this POS. If i'm lucky (which I usually am not) I might get $200 but worst case I should be able to get $100 for it. Which I could put with other money I have from parting out my virago and try finding yet another piece of junk that I can fix.

That happens I am back at square one.

Rob
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 2002 Mercury Cougar V6 No Spark Pats issue

Post by Rob » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:53 am

Got the damn thing running. Runs great and is a nice car. Cost me $100 for a computer, steering column and a key from a junkyard. Couldn't find anywhere on the Internet on how to replace a computer without involving the dealer because of the PATS Passive Anti Theft System.

I figured it out on my own.

Just replace the computer and take the bottom panel off your steering column and zip tie the key in next to the reader ring in there. Put it back together and make a copy of your original key for your car without the chip in it and bam!! A running car. SCREW YOU FORD DEALERSHIPS and your shit ass hundreds of dollars to do nothing but 15 min of work on your laptop. LMAO

This is officially the only posting on the Internet on how to actually get around dealing with the dealership and hundreds of bucks and that damn PATS system. Takes an entire 10 mins to change the computer and ziptie in the key. It is hidden so no one can ever see it and it isn't the right key for the ignition lock cylinder so they cant steal the car with it either. If you really want though you can switch lock cylinders from the steering column you got with the computer and use the junkyard key then and not have to zip tie anything. This way though the antitheft wont be forcing you to buy $50 keys if you lose it... you just get another $1 key from a keymaker with no chip.

I bought the steering column because I though I would have to switch that but technically you just need the key that matches the junkyard computer but usually they wont give you that unless you buy the steering column. Hope this finds someone else with a PATS issue and saves them hundreds not having to deal with a dealer. Peace
Rob

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"

Post by ViragoJoe » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:44 am

Very ingenious my friend!

That happened to me similarly. A key was snapped off in the ignition. So, I had a regular key made and glued the broken key chip to the new key. If you don't want to glue the chip of the broken key to the new key blank. Just hold it near the ignition switch and start the car with the new chipless key. After it starts 15 seconds later remove the chip portion of the broken key away from the ignition switch area and the car will stay running. The chip just needs to be present on the initial start up and a few seconds there after. After that the chip is no longer required. Or glue the chip portion of the broken key closest to the ignition switch. Then any key cut to fit the ignition switch will start the car without an issue.
ViragoJoe
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

Rob
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rob » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:27 pm

Yup you are right. But nowhere online could I find out what was needed to replace the computer or PCM on my car. No one knew if you needed the steering column with it.. or the dash cluster. So I had to find out on my own and thats why I mentioned it here for people to find googling. :)